I do this foam roller routine almost every night for about 20 minutes. My secret is throwing an episode of Friends on with Netflix and roll out for an entire episode.
Here is the routine, I start at the bottom and work my way up.
- Calves. Roll up and down, and when you find a hot spot switch your roll from side to side.
- Hamstrings. Same process here. Rolling up and down, then side to side.
- Inside of hamstrings. Likely a bit more sensitive than your hammies, but needing the same
amoutof attention. You can push your hand into your leg and into the foam roller for some added penetration.
- Quads. Up. Down. Side to side. See the pattern yet? I will also flex and extend my leg on the roller.
- Inside of the quad. VMO, that little muscle on the
insdieof your leg close to your knee cap. It take a beating so make sure you give is some of its own attention.
all powerfulGutes. As you roll, try to find a spot that speaks to you and then sit on it, literally.
- Low back. If you hit your quads well and your glutes, then the low back should be ready for a little rub down. Keep it simple. Roll up and down, you and lean side to side to add some extra pressure if you want it.
- T-Spine. There are a number of ways to attack this area. Give yourself a HUGE hug and round
youback slightly. As you roll up and down, exhale and relax into the roller. You may even get a pop or two.
- Lats. The last spot on this routine. Your lats are huge so be sure to cover as much as you can. Arm stays overhead as if you are raising your hand. There are some sensitive spots as you get close to your armpit so be careful, but dig into those hot spots!
Do this every night for an entire week and let me know how your body feels.